SB 1840 requires all nonprofit hospitals in Illinois to report “details about financial assistance applications received and processed by the hospital.” These details include:
- The number of applications submitted to the hospital, both complete and incomplete;
- The number of applications approved; and
- The number of applications denied; and
- The 5 most frequent reasons for denial.
Additionally, that data must be reported by the demographics now required (race, ethnicity, sex, and preferred language).
For a health system that includes more than one hospital, charity care spending and financial assistance application data must be reported separately for each individual hospital within the health system.
Lastly, charity care costs currently reported on the annual Community Benefits Plan Report shall now be reported as:
- Total charity care costs
- Charity care costs associated with services provided in a hospital’s emergency department
HFA has developed an SB 1840-compliant reporting tool that allows hospitals to capture all required data efficiently and securely, and produce the reports required for your annual Community Benefits Plan Report. Please complete our “Contact Us” form to receive more information on this solution.